Guidance for EU doctors working in the UK beyond the Brexit transition

Post the EU Referendum in 2016, there has been a level of uncertainty surrounding Brexit, and how this may affect our valued EU and EEA National doctors currently working, or seeking future opportunities to take up work in the UK. At Pathology Group, we want to ensure you feel secure in your job, and confident to continue your pursuits to work as a doctor in the UK post-Brexit, whether you're in a permanent or locum role. Not only are our dedicated consultants able to answer any questions you might have regarding Brexit, but we've also put together some information and provided you with some useful links to answer FAQs. 

Will you need to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme?

If you're an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living, working and studying in the UK after 30 June 2021. You can also apply if you're the family member of an eligible person from Northern Ireland.

If you're application is successful you'll be granted either settled or pre-settled status.

The EEA includes EU countries and Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.

The EU Settlement Scheme allows you and your family members to get the immigration status you will need to continue to live, work and study in the UK. The EU Settlement Scheme protects the rights you currently have in the UK.

When you can apply

You have until 30 June 2021 to apply. You must have started living in the UK by 31 December 2020. If you apply to the EU Settlement Scheme successfully, you’ll be able to continue living and working in the UK after 30 June 2021.

Please be aware there may be delays with processing applications given the current Covid-19 situation. To avoid missing the 30 June deadline, we highly recommend submitting your application as soon as possible. 


Unsure which option is most applicable to you?

        'I have lived in the UK for a continuous 5-year period'                                'I do not have 5 years' continuous residency in the UK'                 
'I permanently reside abroad and occasionally work in the UK' 'I'm considering working in the UK in future, but currently reside abroad'


Are you an EU Doctor who will only occasionally take-up work in the UK?

If you permanently reside abroad, and only occasionally work in the UK you may not need to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme. For more information read our latest article on the Frontier Worker Permit or visit GOV.UK

A Frontier Worker permit lets you come to the UK to work while living elsewhere.

You may be eligible if all of the following apply:

  • you’re from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein
  • you live outside of the UK
  • you have worked in the UK by 31 December 2020
  • you have kept working in the UK at least once every 12 months since you started working here

You cannot apply if you’re a British citizen (this includes dual citizenship).


If you have not worked in the UK by 31 December 2020

If you want to work in the UK from 1 January 2021, and you have not worked in the UK before, you’ll be required to apply for a visa.

The visa you will need depends on a number of factors such as length of stay in the UK, previous experience and if you have any family in the EU, EEA or UK. You are able to check which visa type is applicable to you and your circumstances.  

You do not need a visa if you’re a British or Irish citizen.


Will Brexit affect your locum work? 

No, it won't. Once you've applied and gained your settled or pre-settled status or UK Work Permit you will be able to continue living and/or working in the UK after the Brexit transition period. 


For more information, read our latest article on the EU Settlement Scheme or visit GOV.UK